Have you ever offered a treat to your canine friend, and they shuddered their furry shoulders in disgrace while folding their ears down? Well, treats are the love language for your dogs, and trust us, if you have ever gotten no for an answer while offering your dog a treat, then chances are they think you can up your treat game.
Treats are like the token of love that makes your pup feel appreciated. All-natural dog treats can have many health benefits, including plaque and tartar clean-up, weight management, maintaining gut health, and more. Do you know that dog treats should comprise no more than 10% of your dog’s daily calorie intake? When treat portioning plays such a key role in your dog’s diet, pet parents need to adopt a proactive approach to safeguard their pet’s health.
It can be overwhelming to walk down the pet aisle and differentiate the health benefits of treats. Here are some tips to help you identify the best treats for your pup next time you’re shopping for dog treats.
Why Give Your Pet Treats?
Treats are a motivator. Dog treats are among the most convenient and effective ways to influence behavior, like teaching them the commands to sit or stay. Treats are also a great incentive to reinforce positive behavioral attributes. Dog treats don’t just have to act as a sweet or savory reward; they can also add nutritional value to your pet’s diet.
Types of Dog Treats
Undoubtedly every dog owner loves to reward their dog with a treat from time to time. Whether it’s seeing their tail begin to wag or watching their face light up with attentive anticipation, we love to spoil our pets. But how do you know what types of treats are beneficial for your dog? There are different types of dog treats:
- Soft and Chewy
But on the surface, treats should be categorized by their function:
- Supplementing Health & Wellness
Things to Look for while Choosing Dog Treats
While you are searching to buy dog treats online, here are some helpful tips to consider:
- Clean Labels – Shorter ingredient lists. The shorter, the better —with words you can pronounce.
- Ingredient Function – Looking for treats that contain ingredients that will specifically benefit your pup. Certain ingredients promote healthy skin & coat, while others lend their hand to improved digestive health.
- Life Stage – Selecting treats that align with your pet’s age and nutritional requirements.
- Preservatives – Some dog treats boast natural ingredients, but upon closer inspection of the label suggests that those ingredients are tainted with unnatural or sometimes harmful preservatives.
Ingredients to Avoid
If you are searching for dog treats for breeders, or you want to train your pup with dog treats, there are a few ingredients that you need to avoid. Some of these are listed as follows:
- Artificial Color
- Vegetable Oil
- Pea Protein
- Propylene Glycol
- Corn Syrup
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate
- Xylitol as well as other sugar alcohols
Buying healthy dog treats for your four-legged family member does not have to be laborious. Switching to 100% natural treats offers the healthier reward for good behavior — Your pet will thank you for it, too. Finally, remember that the benefit of all-natural dog treats is the absence of additives.